Experience 4 Years
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
As one of the friendliest little cities in California, Tracy is a place to kick off your shoes, hang your hat, sit back and relax. This is also a town where tradition is constantly reinvented. While we move forward, we never leave our foundation.
The City of Tracy is seeking a personable and capable Budget Officer with experience working in a fast-paced municipal environment. The right candidate will demonstrate a customer-service minded approach and be a self-starter who can analyze and communicate complex budgetary matters in an approachable way. This position reports to the Director of Finance, who is the department head with overall responsibility for the City of Tracy’s Finance Department.
The Role at a Glance
The duties of the Budget Officer will include (but are not limited to):
- Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the City’s operating and capital budget production process; recommends within departmental policy, appropriate service levels; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the preparation and administration of the annual budget for the City; calculates cost distribution and provides financial forecasting and planning; tracks the adopted budget and prepares periodic budget reviews for submission to City departments, City management, and the City Council.
- Formulates, prepares, and communicates budget completion schedules, calendars, and deadlines; coordinates the budget process and ensures timely completion.
- Coordinates, prepares, updates, and reviews the City’s master financial plan including final report and significant supporting documentation development.
- Assists with the development and presentation of the City’s annual and mid-cycle operating and capital budgets; prepares preliminary budget estimates, including salary and benefits projections, conducts meetings with the City Manager, City Council, and department heads to evaluate revenue and expenditure requests and keeps all parties apprised of issues, challenges, and resolution thereof; prepares budget documents.
- Facilitates and coordinates the resolution of cross-departmental budgetary issues, including identifying and proposing procedural solutions; reviews all departmental budget submittals for completeness, accuracy, the appropriate use of funding sources, and adherence to City policies.
- Conducts special research projects and financial analysis for citywide programs and usage; produces findings and recommendations and prepares related reports.
- Updates City records and procedures in assigned areas pursuant to changes in law, City policies and procedures, Memoranda of Understanding, and other pertinent rules and regulations.
- Represents the Finance Department to other City departments, elected officials, and outside agencies; explains and interprets departmental programs, policies, and activities.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the fields of investments and general revenue; researches emerging products and enhancements and their applicability to City needs.
- Monitors changes in regulations and technology that may affect operations; implements policy and procedural changes after approval.
The Ideal Candidate at a Glance
The Budget Officer for the City of Tracy must possess a rare combination of financial expertise, attention to detail, impeccable writing skills, and adept communication abilities. In addition to excelling at the traditional number crunching, the right candidate will be enthusiastic about explaining complicated financial matters to City Council in an approachable way, and eager to collaborate with other departments to ensure that budgets and deadlines are met.
Under the direction of the Director of Finance, the successful incumbent will be able to plan, organize, coordinate and participate in budget development and preparation and their control activities. They will perform specialized work in analyzing and estimating future revenue and expenditures, including long-term and short-term financial forecasting and planning. They will prepare and coordinate financial aspects of City operational and capital fiscal oversight and control, including contract and grant management and oversight over accounts payable.
Experience & Education
Experience: Four years of increasingly responsible professional accounting, budgeting and auditing experience.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance or a related field is strongly preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Annual salary for the position ranges from $111,998.12 – $136,134.70 dependent upon experience. In addition, the City provides an excellent benefits package.
The Selection Process
To be considered for this opportunity, please email your resume and cover letter to Bob Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 16, 2021.
A limited number of applicants whose qualifications best meet the needs of the City will be invited to participate in the selection process. Candidates will participate in a panel interview process.
The City reserves the right to modify the selection process at any time. Appointment will be contingent upon the ability to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States and satisfactory criminal clearance, which includes completing a Live Scan process and satisfactory clearance of an employment credit inquiry.